Tools for Better Health
What is chronic disease?
Chronic Disease is a long-lasting condition that can be controlled but not cured. There are many physical and mental health conditions that are considered chronic diseases, including:
- Heart Disease or high blood pressure
Tools for Better Health is for:
- adults with chronic disease;
- their families;
- and caretakers of those with chronic health conditions.
The program may be particularly beneficial for people who have more than one health condition or whose health problems have begun to interfere with their valued life activities.
How does it work?
Tools for Better Health participants attend a 2½-hour interactive workshop once a week for seven weeks to learn problem-solving, decision-making, and other techniques such as:
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance
- Communicating better with family, friends and health professionals about your condition(s)
- Goal setting
- How to evaluate new treatments
Workshops meet in community-based settings and are facilitated by two trained leaders. At least one leader will currently be diagnosed with a chronic disease.
The way the program is taught makes it effective. Participants are very involved in the classes and support each other. Success builds participants' confidence in their ability to manage their health and maintain active and fulfilling lives.