High-quality Group Leaders are a key to the success of Tools for Better Health workshop participants in achieving positive life changes.
Leaders must commit to a four-day training, as well as to leading a 7-week Tools for Better Health Workshop each year. The workshop requires 3-4 hours each week.
While there are no specific education or experience requirements or qualifications for group leaders, there are some skills that are necessary:
- Group Leaders must have a personal experience with chronic disease.
- Group Leaders must be able to read, speak and write English. This does not exclude individuals who are not native English speakers.
- Group Leaders should feel comfortable speaking in front of a group.
- Group Leaders should be community members who are passionate about this program and want to help and serve others in their community.
- Group Leaders should have the physical and mental stamina necessary to facilitate at least one workshop series a year.
- Although all are welcome to apply to be group leaders, individuals with no specific health training are preferred. The challenge for healthcare professionals in this program is they must remove their healthcare professional hat, which means they cannot answer health-related questions.