To stop the spread of the coronavirus in Douglas County, a local health order on July 1 began requiring most people to wear masks in indoor public spaces, and for consistency the county has since aligned with Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly’s statewide mask order that took effect Friday, July 3. Under the order, people in Douglas County are required to wear masks when inside any public space – including their workplace – or in situations where social distancing of 6 feet cannot be maintained. Guidance regarding specific places or situations in which masks are required is outlined within the order.
Read these FAQs for more guidance as well.
How will mask usage be enforced?
- As under all health orders, anyone with questions about compliance of a public health order can email email@example.com, where LDCPH staff will follow up on specific complaints. We ask people use that avenue for complaints rather than contacting law enforcement. First and foremost, we are asking for compliance and able to help provide guidance on the order and reinforce best practices.
Businesses shouldn’t be held responsible for any outdoor space that is not in their control. Complaints will be managed as: A first complaint with LDCPH making contact them to reinforce the requirements and ask for cooperation. A second complaint involves an in-person visit to reinforce the message and guidance, and a third complaint will be referred to law enforcement. Decision on a penalty for civil violation of the order will be handled by the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office, and in that scenario, prosecutors would take information from law enforcement and make a decision on how to proceed.
I am a person who is exempt from wearing a mask due to a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability. Do you I have to carry around a letter stating I am exempt?
- No, similar to during the stay-home order, exempt individuals do not need to carry documentation stating they are exempt.
I don’t have a mask. Where can I get one?
Do I have to wear a mask when I am working out at my gym, fitness center, or workout facilities?
- In most scenarios, everyone inside a gym or fitness center should wear a mask because it can be difficult to predict when someone might approach you. Only structured gym sessions such as classes that have planned for maintaining separation meet the criteria for not masking. When walking into a public space, such as hallways, corridors or entering a facility, you should always wear a mask because it is unlikely you can assure six feet of social distancing.
My child is participating in a sport or indoor practice. Do they have to wear a mask during the practice?
- If six feet of social distancing cannot be maintained/assured, then they should wear a mask.
Why are deaf and hard of hearing exempt?
- We are seeking consistency with other jurisdictions and now that Douglas County has adopted the Governor’s order for consistency, the order allows for exemptions for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing, or communicating with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.
I am a business owner, am I responsible for enforcing that my customers wear masks?
- All businesses or organizations in Kansas must require all employees, customers, visitors, members, or members of the public to wear a mask or other face covering. Read the full order on the specifics.
Is there a sign that I can post at the entrance to my business?